Digital print represents a reproduction of digital images on a physical surface. It is generally used to personalize the print media (paper, cardboard)
The process differs from lithography *, flexography ** and printing pressing in several ways:
– Each print can be different, because printing molds are no longer necessary as in traditional methods.
– No more wasting so much ink and paper because there is no need to recolor an image to make the right saturation and there is no need to verify the registration and positioning the paper.
– The ink or toner does not penetrate the back of the sheet, as happens with ordinary ink, but forms a thin layer on the surface of the sheet. To not erase, often applies certain additional procedures for a better fit. Thus, for toner, use a “fusion liquid ” subjected to a thermal process, and for the ink drying, it is subject to UV rays.
Since there are very few default settings to be made, digital print is very useful for rapid prototyping and small print circulations can be executed at much lower costs.
Digital print is used for personalized prints or variable data printing, for example, in the case of children’s books, which are personalized with baby’s name and specific images.
Demand printing system also uses digital printing for small circulations of books with a variable number of pages and various binding techniques.
* Lithography, according to online DEX is a method of reproduction and multiplication on paper of texts, drawings, figures, using negative printed on a special stone, limestone;
** Tall pattern that use prepared forms from a flexible and elastic material.
Printing paper may be available in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and grades of finishing, as well as different levels of quality, durability or resistance. A paper for printing can be also used for painting, drawing and graphic art. But in most cases, will not have resistance, durability or the required thickness as if it were designed specifically for them.
The main distinctive features of the printing paper are much softer surface and thickness respective sheets absence. This makes it ideal for printing.
Some of the most popular types of print paper are BFK River, Arches, Cooperplate and German Etching. Arches and Rives have a limited variety of shades. A printable paper category called “proof paper” is created, usually made of wood and has a tougher and more durable surface.
Depending on the degree of processing, the paper can be grouped into:
– Paper with protection layer (coated);
– Paper without protection layer (uncoated) – a type of paper that has not been subjected to treatment with a protective pigment that would have been used to reduce the absorption of the material and increase its smoothness.
How can these types of paper be used for print?
Uncoated paper – commercial prints
|Type||Popular colors||Popular weights||Used for:|
|Prints||White, beige,||50, 60, 70, 80, 100 lb.||Flyers, books, letters|
|Vellum sheet||White ad colored||57, 67, 100, 120 lb||Letters, posters, commercials|